Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Health Insurance is KILLING me

It's open enrollment season and apps are flying around. I anticipated signing up for myself and my husband and having the company pay for it. Altho the company only offered to pay for half of my coverage upfront. Soon it became clear the owner most definitely did NOT want to pay anything. Well, in CA you are required to pay SOMETHING. I really didn't want to miss out on the opportunity of any benefit that any company would provide. But with only over priced policies available, I was looking at having to pay out $750 assuming the company would pay for half my insurance which at this point, was not even sure. My boss kindly said I could "owe them" later. So here I was looking at wracking up debt at the tune of $1000/month and for what ? There are no pressing needs. I just can't do it. After turning in my application to signup, I reneged and said I was declining coverage. It just doesn't make any sense. So my boss decided out-of-hand that the company will indeed cover half of our premium and screw the other owner (she's half owner). She asked if that would change my answer. I thought about it for awhile but being tired and cranky, it was difficult to do so and I found myself not able to concentrate on anything but this. My hopes of having the company pick up the entire tab had vanished. It really bothered me that I could not take advantage of what the company WAS offering. It would seem only fair if you going to allot a certain dollar value to all employees per month, shouldnt you at least give me a little something in my check since i'm NOT taking the plan? Well that's the way I feel But do you think I would ask for that? No. Not now. Maybe later when i can afford to piss people off with my greed. So then I said I should get the dental at least, my teeth are in disrepair and i could use it. So i asked, are you going to pay for half of that? It's somewhere in the $30-$50/month range. And she said "no". "NO"???? WTF ????? So once again I said fuck it. Don't want it. At this point I am so worked up I am ready to cry. Ridiculous. So then she says, she will pay for it and I say "Don't bother. It doent make any sense anyways. Dental doesnt cover much and i can't afford to pay what they DONT cover now anyways ! So why waste the money, right?" UGH I have never been so depressed over something so stupid. This Health Insurance deal is KILLING me !

I'm going online now to search for some home blood testing kits and other laboratory goodies to stuff in our stockings. Merry Christmas !

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this crap! Awww... hope you are feeling a bit better now. HUGS for the BBQ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi you! Ya know, this is exactly why health insurance reform is so important. Maybe Obama's plan isn't the best.... but at least he's trying! Personally, I think this is a HUGE problem for anyone who does not get at least some help from their employer... and as shown above, even "some" help is often not enough. We need affordable health care in this country.
    xoxo!

    ReplyDelete